Saturday, June 2, 2007

Irony

Sometime last year...
...I accidentally locked myself out of my room at the university. The key was unfortunately inside. Having missed the deadline for requesting an extra key, I had to sleep in a friend's room with the shirt that was on my back since morning but thank goodness I managed to change into my shorts before the accidental lock out. I kept my cool. I planned to go to the office in the morning to ask for the master key.
However the next morning, as I enter the office with yesterday's clothes, the lady behind the table suddenly told me firmly yet irrationally that I was to step back and leave the office. She said I shouldn't be wearing shorts. I was bemused. Reflex had me explaining that I was locked out of my room and I couldn't actually "change" to something more "proper". Unfortunately, the lady was adamant that her instructions were absolute and that I was to leave the office and get "someone who is dressed properly" to pick up the master key for me. I couldn't believe to what was happening and left the office with her in mid-sentence. I was pissed. R-rated tirades escaped under my breath for several minutes before I nicely ask my house mate to help me get the master key.
Simply, the incident shocked me. Here I am at the girls only apartment where any male who looks under the age 35 is barred from coming in. I was shocked and disappointed by the lady and the university for being so stupid and irrational. Like hello, I can't even where shorts within the vicinity of a girls only "haven"? Is the sight of my knees so repulsive the lady wanted to puke her head off? Hoit this is a living space, not a formal dinner or a kenduri for that matter.

Fast forward to this week...
...I was temporarily living at the boy's apartment for the little camp thingy. The day we were suppose to check out, my house mate told me that we were suppose to give back the keys before the office closes at about five something. My dad was coming at seven and I wanted the room so that I can have my much-needed sleep. Because I had just woken up from a nap when I was told about this, I just put on my t-shirt and shorts without much thought. I went down and walked to the office. I explained the matter to the officer. He told me nicely that it was OK and that I can stay longer if I wanted to. I was only required to leave the key on the table of my apartment and lock the door outside. I was contented and I left the office to continue my nap.
Waking up later, I realized the sheer irony.


Medieval minds
(in this case, just the lady in the first story)

Double standards

Arbitrary rules




Don't get me started with the tones extra amenities and better furniture the boys have.

3 comments:

bananatan04 said...

Hey! i checked out of the boys' apartment in shorts as well. FUNNNNNNYYYYYYY!!!!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

yeah, FUNNNNYYYYYY!!! i thought it's amanda again...haha